Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Week 9: Ebooks and Downloadable Media

It was good to check out something on our very own library website - a reassuring feeling of familiarity! I've been through most of this before, but it's always good to have a refresher. We have some great resources on our website and it's good to be reminded of them and to pass on that info to our customers. The Tumblebooks and Tumblereadables are fun for kids and something I will remeber to recommend to mums.
Another area that is well worth a look is the ebooks and perhaps something that the average library user is not aware of. I think this is particularly useful for students as there are a lot of classic books and study notes. This was the sort of thing I concentrated on in the NetLibrary when choosing my favourites because I wanted to see what I could recommend to a desperate student, for example, who couldn't find a thing on the shelves about To Kill a Mockingbird or Hamlet or whatever book is on the syllabus at the time.
Downloadable Media is a great service with a big selection of books for entertainment or education. I don't think the older generation is making much use of it because of the technology, so audiobooks will be found on our shelves for a while yet - but it has definite appeal to younger, more mobile and computer savvy people.

1 comment:

  1. Tumblebooks are so cool...people with poor eyesight (young and old) are using downloadable media -its growing in popularlity...great work

    ReplyDelete