Saturday, March 20, 2010

Week 7 Wikis

This week I explored wikis and checked out some of the recommended ones to get a feel of how they work.While they are all places where knowledge can be pooled in a collaborative way by anyone, they also have differences in they way they present their information and in the amount of content, links, editing options etc. It seems to me that in some cases the wikis give information, but after that there probably isn't much more need for it to be added to changed or whatever, because the information is pretty good as it stands. So from that point of view, I'm not so sure how they differ from a regular website, apart from the fact that the option is there for anyone to take part if they want. I enjoyed looking around the various wikis and seeing just how much information we have at our disposal. Sometimes this make me feel a little dizzy though
- the old information overload problem again!
I like the idea of people being able to contribute their knowledge for sharing with others with similar interests and this concept seems ideal to a library environment where rapid turn over of information about books, reviews, events, technology, learning programmes etc would be very uselful and enriching.
I logged in to the ACL PB Wiki and went to favourite blogs where I added my blog to the list. This was a pleasant exercise because it went without a hitch and showed me how easy it is to add info to a wiki.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Blue Moon Muser

    Well done for having a look at Wikis :-0 Next up Zoho you are nearly there!!

    ReplyDelete