Sunday, March 14, 2010

Week 6: Delicious and Technorati

Delicious gave me some trouble joining and logging on, but eventually I got there. I added 10 websites of interest, mostly to do with books and this part of the process went surprisingly smoothly. Relief! (As an aside, I believe that the time frame set for the exercises and the amount of work required to complete them seriously needs to be reassessed. Realistically it is taking a lot longer than the suggested one hour per week, especially for part-timers - and that is time that cannot be spared at the workplace, consequently it is being done at home.)
Anyway, back to Delicious: I find it quite a good site for people who want to manage lots of sites of interest which they want to access from different locations. You can tag, save and share all from one central point and get more info on other helpful sites if you want. Information sharing is an integral part of library services and I can see this having benefit for libraries.
My link to my Delicious account is:http://delicious.com/Katharine_2020
I then signed up to Technorati. I can't see a great deal of use for this one in the library because it appears to be all about blogs, which although interesting for some, would probably not be essential in terms of information gathering. I had no luck with claiming my blog as there didn't appear to be any way to make a connection to this, either through the link you provided or through the site itself.
I'm finding the things we are required to join with their log-ons, sign-ins, passwords, email addresses etc becoming somewhat unwieldy - ever more stuff to keep in mind so that I can access even more stuff to keep me up to speed. This (along with having so much of my personal information out there) is a part of sharing in the internet community that I'm not overly comfortable with, because although it makes things simpler on one level, it also adds more and more things to keep abreast of and to monitor. I guess the trick is to find the level you're comfortable with and only take as much out of it as you need.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think that is the trick- what's useful to you personally and what isn't. But it's good to know about it all, because then you can see what might be useful to other people too, and help them get started...

    ReplyDelete